Salt & Pepper Crab
This quick and easy salt and pepper crab recipe is a favourite of many.
8 blue swimmer crabs – uncooked and split in half and cleaned
6 tbspoons black peppercorns roasted whole and ground
6 tbspoons chilli flakes
1 tbspoon western salt
300gm plain flour
300gm corn flour
canola oil for deep frying
- Toast off peppercorns in frying pan for 5 minutes or until they become fragrant, tossing to make sure they are evenly toasted.
- Grind to semi-fine either in a grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Mix flours together and all all other dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Heat deep fryer to 180C.
- Take half the flour and add approximately 50ml water until it becomes a batter consistency.
- Flour crab in remaining (dry) flour and then dunk into the batter
- Place gently in deep fryer (or very carefully in a wok) and cook for approximately 3 minutes – doing 2 crab halves at a time.
Season with salt and pepper then serve with fresh lime.